VISIT OUR RIGHT SIDED STROKE RECOVERY CENTER
People who are undergoing right hemisphere stroke recovery may struggle with problems related to vision and space perception, mood, energy and recognition of their own difficulties. This cluster of deficits is called right hemisphere stroke syndrome.
The Right Hemisphere Stroke Center (RHSC) is a specialized treatment center with outpatient programs developed by Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute researchers and expert rehabilitation clinicians in right hemisphere stroke. It is the only center in the nation devoted to managing the unique needs of patients with right hemisphere stroke syndrome. Patients receive targeted treatment for their difficulties, guided by the latest research findings.
Schedule a Tour
MossRehab at Elkins Park
60 Township Line Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027
Patients with right hemisphere stroke syndrome may experience one or more of the following:
Request an Appointment
- Hemispatial Neglect Symptoms: Difficulty seeing on their left side, including inability to respond to people or objects on the left. For example, they may fail to eat food from the left side of their plate, or may fail to brush the hair on the left side of their head. With partial recovery, they may just be slow to detect things on the left. "Hemispatial neglect" may have serious consequences for safety.
- Since the right side of the brain helps to process awareness of space and the body, patients with right hemisphere stroke syndrome may not be very aware of their difficulties. For example, they may frequently forget that they are unable to move their left arm or leg the way they could before the stroke. This may have important safety consequences.
- Decreased levels of energy and motivation. Right hemisphere stroke syndrome may be extremely disabling, and may cause frustration for stroke survivors and caregivers alike.
OUR RIGHT BRAIN STROKE RECOVERY SERVICES INCLUDE:
- A specialized, brief evaluation designed to triage patients into right hemisphere stroke treatment protocols tailored specifically to their needs.
- An interdisciplinary assessment and treatment team that meets frequently to review recommendations and right brain stroke treatment results.
- A virtual reality computer program to assess for the presence of visuospatial problems that effect everyday life.
- Targeted hemispatial neglect treatment using prism glasses and mirror box intervention, as recommended by the latest research.
- Counseling and education to those undergoing right hemisphere stroke recover and their families obtain support and better understand right hemisphere stroke syndrome.
- Medication treatments, when appropriate, to help address lowered energy or motivation.
- Follow-up evaluations designed to assess possible needs for adjustments in the right hemisphere treatment recommendations.
- Data analysis tools developed by researchers to facilitate tracking of improvements during the course of right sided cva treatment.
- Family training to facilitate right hemisphere stroke therapy skills at home.
TO SCHEDULE AN EVALUATION, PLEASE CALL THE MOSSREHAB OUTPATIENT CENTER AT 215-663-6354.